× Members

Dr`s supporting letter

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111955 by freefee
Dr`s supporting letter was created by freefee
hi. after being moved from incapacity benefit in 2010 to esa support group, I have been contacted twice concerning a review, the first time I had a home visit from atos and I the second time I just returned the questionnaire, both times I was placed in the support group, I am due to be reassessed again in November, what I would like to know is if in your opinion I should send a letter of support from my dr at the initial stage or save it in case I need to appeal their decision? he has said he will back me and he believes I am unfit for work, just wondering what your advice would be and also could I send a copy of the dr`s letter or would it have to be the original,
thanks in advance
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111967 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Dr`s supporting letter

freefee wrote: hi. after being moved from incapacity benefit in 2010 to esa support group, I have been contacted twice concerning a review, the first time I had a home visit from atos and I the second time I just returned the questionnaire, both times I was placed in the support group, I am due to be reassessed again in November, what I would like to know is if in your opinion I should send a letter of support from my dr at the initial stage or save it in case I need to appeal their decision? he has said he will back me and he believes I am unfit for work, just wondering what your advice would be and also could I send a copy of the dr`s letter or would it have to be the original,
thanks in advance

Hi ff,

As you may be aware, the ESA50 and some of the qualfying descriptors changed in January this year.

You might want to consider using the PDF ESA50 this time, you could even make a start on it now :

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

You should do so, whilst referring to the guides under the heading of "ESA Claims and Appeals - Current forms"

On this page :

ESA Claims Guides

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

You should send any/all supporting medical evidence with the ESA50, or as soon as possible in the assessment process.

As things stand, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by holding back on evidence.

The whole idea is to gain the correct assessment ASAP, without the need for a lengthy wait for an appeals tribunal hearing.

Remember, being "unfit for work" only helps to gain access to The WRAG. To gain access to The SG you must also be deemed to be "unfit for work related activity" (WRA) (WFI's. Training Courses, Work Placements, etc, etc.)

If your G.P. will also draw reference to which of the qualifying SG descriptors that you qualify under, that will help further.

Qualifying for the Support Group

If you are aware of the SG descriptors that you have previously qualified under, draw reference to them again.

Treat this ESA50, as if it was your first, you will need to show that your limitations have not diminished due to medical procedures or new medication, and that you have not learned to cope with, or have adapted to the limitations suffered at your previous assessment.

You should always keep originals, and send copies of any supporting letters/documents.

You will then have the originals, in case they insist on seeing them.

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.